Tuesday, October 2, 2007

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

October 2, 1950

Dr. Philip Adler and Ethel Irene Kugler Adler gave birth to a baby girl at 2:10 pm at Detroit Osteopathic Hospital, Highland Park, Michigan. (Actually Ethel did the birthing, Phil - who was an obstetrician and gynecologist on staff at "DOH" - had to sit this one out on the sidelines). They named her Deborah Joan Adler. They were also prepared for a boy, whom they would name David Jonathan Adler. (This was before you could tell the sex of your baby 5 seconds after intercourse.) They had no preference, other than sound health.

They celebrated this birth, especially because Ethel was closer to 42 years old than 41 and had already had one miscarriage and experienced difficulty keeping this pregnancy. (Deb would become a "DES Baby" in her mid-twenties, as did many of her peers whose mothers took that drug to help retain their pregnancies). "Debby," as she would be called by her parents and friends as she was growing up, was welcomed with joy by Ethel and Phil, their friends and Ethel's sisters Grace and Gladys and their children and extended family. Phil's family had rendered him "dead" for marrying a non-Jew. Whether they were notified immediately or what their reaction was is not known.

On this day I, Deborah J. Adler (Deb), also known to the Principle People as U'tana A'qua No gi' Su, wish to acknowledge my mother (deceased 11-1-1991) and my father (deceased 3-18-1997) with great thanksgiving for giving me passage into this life and for their love and experience. I miss them and celebrate that they are together in the Light.

I wish to acknowledge my extended natural family - The Harley clan, the Shive's, The Phillips'- and all the wonderful memories I have of Christmas trips to Easton PA and great big "Walton's-style" holidays, as well as summer visits and times together, and genuine warmth and love.

To those with whom I have shared recovery from addiction to alcohol and other drugs, I send you the first song I wrote in sobriety, over 27 years ago. www.myspace.com/debadlersongbyrd (click on For the First Time in My Life). (May take one or two days from this post for it to show up). Live long as sober, strong, and free!

To those who have supported my music by attending concerts, buying CD's, and taking part in my Blogs, etc., I appreciate you in the circle of my life.

To the one I know as Grandmother Parisha, I give deep appreciation for your love and mentoring. I also acknowledge with thanksgiving the "family" of friends and associates I have worked alongside of, some for 20 years, in projects for the Yunsai Society and Learning Center for Human for Human Development. May we continue to learn and grow together in ever expanding adventures!

In the traditional ways of the T'saligi (also known as The Principle People), into whom I was adopted over 16 years ago, the person having a birthday celebrates by bringing gifts to those who have played a significant role in their life.

So from me to you all, I CELEBRATE YOU IN MY LIFE AND SPEAK MY APPRECIATION!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Deb
©2008 Deborah Adler. All rights reserved.

please vote for this article at Stumble, Digg, Furl, Del.icio.us, and Facebook. Thanks!




Member of the Boxxet Network of Blogs, Videos and Photos

No comments: