Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Seek First to Understand...

"Seek First to Understand, Then to be Understood.
-Stephen R. Covey, The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People

"Covey warns that giving out advice before having empathetically understood a person and their situation will likely result in that advice being rejected. Thoroughly listening to another person's concerns instead of reading out your own autobiography is purported to increase the chance of establishing a working communication."
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Seven_Habits_of_Highly_Effective_People)

Just wanted to end that last post with a positive note! Sounds saccharin? Maybe. But I've learned that what we focus on is what we get. I want more understanding, compassion and respect from others, so guess what I have to offer first? I'm learning. Thanks for letting me share my process.

Prejudices, pain, ignorance exists today, but we don't have to feed it.

Later. -D
©2008 Deborah Adler. All rights reserved.

please vote for this article at Stumble, Digg, Furl, Del.icio.us, and Facebook. Thanks!




Member of the Boxxet Network of Blogs, Videos and Photos

No comments: